Leather is a long-lasting solution for upholstery, and one that will age gracefully, offering possibly the only instance in life of a growing softness with slowly developing lines and wrinkles that you will actually welcome.
Inherently versatile, the use of leather hides in residential and commercial interiors is as common on modern upholstery as traditional applications. With help from our partners in the industry, this QUICK STUDY offers a short list of need-to-know information as well as resources for leather terminology and product care.
WHY WE LOVE IT
- Leather, available in hundreds of textures and colors, complements a wide range of furniture products and styles.
- Leather upholstery from a quality manufacturer promises an heirloom-quality piece that can be passed down to the next generation.
- It’s durable, long-lasting and ages beautifully, becoming softer and more comfortable through the years.
- Features distinctive markings and a rich, unmistakable aroma.
- When ordering leather upholstery, brands like Century Furniture and Hancock & Moore take the guesswork out of the ordering process, automatically planning for the estimated number of hides per piece as well as approximate waste.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- No two hides are the same, but our partners work to ensure consistency in grain and color saturation across your upholstered piece.
- As the hide ages, it will become softer, will develop lines, wrinkles and leather will scratch.
- Leathers will have differing sheens. On Century Furniture’s website, helpful icons indicate a Low, Medium or High Sheen on each piece in their Leather Collection. They also offer a Hand Waxed option. They do forewarn that items with High Sheen finishes are more easily scratched than tops finished in lower sheen finishes.
- When ordering furniture from most manufacturers, you can opt for COL, or Customer’s Own Leather, choosing for example, from the Larsen Hides collection. Your designated furniture manufacturer, together with your KDR Sales Representative, can help to calculate the exact number of hides required.
- If you could use a refresher course, Hancock & Moore has you covered with their comprehensive Glossary of Leather Terms.
- We suggest that leather surfaces be dusted regularly with a soft dry, or damp cloth.
- Light stains may be cleaned using a mild, non-detergent soap—rinse well and allow to air dry.
- Do not apply water to oil spots, simply wipe with a clean cloth and oil will be absorbed by the hide.
- Visit the Product Care Guide for a complete list of leather care tips.
The much-anticipated launch from Select Metals is coming soon—August 1st—and we’ve been given a sneak peek by the folks at Select Drapery Hardware to share with you. Included in the launch are finials, traverse rods, french returns, a by-pass bracket and the new Iron Works collection.
1 3/16″ Select Metals Traverse Rods
Choose from 14 finials and 6 Select Metal finishes. For use with Pinch Pleat or Ripplefold.
Sintra Traverse Rod Sets
Contemporary, sleek 1” square track profile, available in 4 finishes. For use with Pinch Pleat or Ripplefold.
Three New Finial Designs
French Returns & By-Pass Bracket
NEW Iron Works Collection
Featuring 3 new finishes and 2 pole diameters, 3/4” and 1 3/16” with 9 Unique Finial Designs.
Beyond producing handcrafted, heirloom-quality area rugs, from its inception Tufenkian Carpets has been dedicated to social responsibility. They’ve long worked to improve the lives and living conditions of their workers throughout the world. It comes as no surprise that when Nepal recently experienced the worst disaster to hit the region in 80 years, Tufenkian took action.
In an effort to help survivors of the April 25th earthquake recover, the Tufenkian Foundation has agreed to match up to $25,000 in donations made to their Mercy Corps campaign. With the help of their employees, dealers, clients and friends, they have nearly reached their goal.
Join us in supporting our friends at Tufenkian and give hope to the men, women and children that so desperately in need your help to rebuild their lives.
As of July, Tufenkian is less than $5,000 away from their goal of a $50,000 donation. Our hope is that the design communities in St. Louis, Kansas City and Minneapolis can make a difference. No amount is too small.
“The emergency supply kits we were able to provide are helping 31,400 people stay warm, safe and healthy during this difficult time. An additional 12,510 people received emergency food, delivered by a local partner on the ground.”
– Mercy Corps
Photo Credit: Mercy Corps
For years, furniture manufacturer Edward Ferrell + Lewis Mittman has wisely called upon the industry’s top talent to provide direction for their designs. EF+LM established trust with these designers, who had gained great respect for the company’s quality, craftsmanship and service. Names like Jamie Drake, Marshall Watson and Roger Thomas became associated with the brand through a concept that marries acclaimed designers with hand-crafted furnishings.
In an effort to expand upon the tradition of designer partnerships, a new collection has emerged. Lewis Mittman Atelier brings together the talent and and unique perspective of four designers: Marks & Frantz, Barry Goralnick, Katie Eastridge and the Creative Director at EF+LM, Phillip Jeffries.
MARKS & FRANTZ
Carrie Slipper Chair
Yves Lounge Chair
Max Dylan Sofa
Caresse Club Chair
Franklin End Table
Rockhill Wing Chair
Concorde Club Chair
Palais Club Chair